The latest on Bobby Ryan, Keith Yandle, Rick Nash and Roberto Luongo. Will any of them move today? Read on to find out!
ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER/LOS ANGELES TIMES/COURIER-POST ONLINE: Anaheim Ducks winger Bobby Ryan, unhappy over the way he’s being treated by management and the uncertainty over his future, indicated he’d accept being traded and suggested the Philadelphia Flyers as a possible destination. ”I take things personally,” said Ryan. “Anaheim to me has been a team over the past year that really has shown me nothing to prove that they want me here, unfortunately.” He added, “”I gotta be honest with you. At this point, I don’t care. Move me … because it’s just tough going to the rink every day knowing that if something goes wrong, you’re going to be the guy moved.”
It’s believed the Flyers are interested in Ryan, and were rumored to have offered up winger James van Riemsdyk to the Ducks, who countered by seeking promising forward Brayden Schenn. Ducks GM Bob Murray responded to Ryan’s comments, saying “”I’d just like to say I’m disappointed at this time at his comments and I intend to talk to Bobby personally when we get back from the draft and clear the air a little bit”.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Murray can be as “disappointed” in Ryan all he wants, but I believe the Ducks GM hasn’t handled this well, so little wonder Ryan has grown exasperated about the situation and voiced his frustration. Murray comments suggest he doesn’t intend to move Ryan this week, if at all, but that could change if he gets a good offer.
CSNPHILLY.COM: Tim Panaccio reported Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney was canvassing offers for defenseman Keith Yandle, and a source claimed the Flyers wanted to get into the bidding.
ESPN.COM: Pierre LeBrun reported yesterday began with the Coyotes getting offers for Yandle but no deal materialized, as the feeling is it could take a special deal, like a first line center, to pry him out of Phoenix. The Coyotes instead last night reacquired defenseman Zbynek Michalek from the Pittsburgh Penguins, leading to speculation the Penguins were clearing cap space to take a run at New Jersey’s Zach Parise in the UFA market.
PUCK DADDY: Greg Wyshynski reports Coyotes GM Don Maloney said following the draft nothing was imminent regarding Yandle. Maloney isn’t shopping the defenseman but is listening to offers. Maloney is also still negotiating with team captain and pending UFA Shane Doan, who is frustrated over the lack of progress in the sale of the team to a prospective ownership group. The Coyotes GM doubts Doan will sign before the ownership situation is resolved.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: So, Maloney is listening to offers, but doesn’t sound keen to move Yandle, though it would take a significant offer to do so. Most teams aren’t willing to part with first line centers, so it appears Yandle could remain with the Coyotes.
OTTAWA CITIZEN: Allen Panzeri reports Senators GM Bryan Murray remains interested in Columbus Blue Jackets winger Rick Nash, and is believed to have offered a package with either Robin Lehner or Mika Zibanejad as part of the deal. The San Jose Sharks are rumored to have offered Ryan Clowe, Joe Pavelski, Jason Demers and a first round pick for Nash.
NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports the NY Rangers attempt to land Nash has hit a brick wall as Jackets management continues to stick with their high asking price. Discussions with the Ducks regarding Bobby Ryan haven’t advanced, and their attempt to land Jordan Staal prior to his trade from Pittsburgh to Carolina didn’t get far. It’s believed several teams have interest in Rangers forward Brandon Dubinsky, but they would want a scorer to replace him. It appears the Blueshirts will be parting ways with pending UFA forward Brandon Prust.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Unless something changes today, it’s expected the Blue Jackets won’t move Nash soon, but could instead prefer to wait until after the first week of next month’s free agent frenzy has passed, which could improve his market value. If the Sharks have offered up that package reported by the Citizen, I don’t think the Jackets could get much more than that.
VANCOUVER SUN: Iain MacIntyre reports the Toronto Maple Leafs were rumored to have made an “unsuccessful pitch” for Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo olast night during the first round of the Entry Draft.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Media consensus suggests Toronto or Florida are the only destinations available for the Canucks to move Luongo, which it’s believed they’d like to do before they start contract talks with RFA Cory Schneider.