NHL Lockout Morning Coffee Headlines – October 23, 2012.

In this morning’s collection of notable NHL headlines: updates on possible CBA talks between the two sides, team owners & GMs had two-day window to speak to players regarding NHL’s latest CBA proposal, and an update on Marc Savard.

 

Will CBA talks start up again this week?

ESPN.COM: Pierre LeBrun suggested this week could be an important one for NHL CBA negotiations if an agreement is to be reached to salvage a full 82-game season. Katie Strang reported no formal talks have been scheduled this week, though a source close to the negotiations suggested they could be held later in the week.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: So far, no word if those talks will take place this week. Each side seems to expect the other to negotiate off their proposals of last week. Like LeBrun, I don’t buy into the opinion that the entire season could be lost if there’s no agreement this week, but I do agree pressure will be ramped up on both sides once the possibility of playing a full 82-game schedule is gone. I never believed it was possible to salvage a full schedule from this lockout. If this season is to be saved, I’m guessing talks will stretch for at least another 4-6 weeks, resulting in a 55-65 game schedule.

NBC SPORTS PRO HOCKEY TALK: The NHLPA allowed NHL team owners and general managers a 48-hour window to answer players questions regarding the league’s latest CBA proposal.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Turns out I was incorrect when I wrote the PA allowed the teams and GMs to speak with the players after tabling their last CBA offer, as per this link from the Winnipeg Free Press. If anything, the PA isn’t pleased with that at all, which could potentially put a monkey wrench into any hopes of the two sides reaching an agreement this week.

PHILLY.COM: Sam Carchidi notes the NHL lockout is, in a way, being funded by Comcast, the owner of the Philadelphia Flyers.

“The NBC Sports Group, a subsidiary of Comcast, is paying the league about $180 million in rights fees this season — and a network spokesman said on Monday that the NHL will receive all of that money even if no games are played in 2012-13.

There is an asterisk, however. If no games are played this season, the league will grant NBC a “free year at the back end of the agreement,” said the NBC spokesman, who asked to remain anonymous.”

THE GLOBE AND MAIL: David Shoalts calls for the moderates among the NHL owners to step up and put pressure upon league commissioner Gary Bettman to bring this lockout to an end.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: After reading Jonathan Gatehouse’s biography on Bettman, I don’t expect any palace coups against the commish, whose power is pretty much absolute.

THE SPORTING NEWS: Boston Bruins center Marc Savard doesn’t expect any comeback from post-concussion symptoms in the near future.

2 Comments

  1. WHA…

  2. With sleeze written all over his face Gary “the rat” Betteman looked as innocent as could be when he wondered why the NHLPA had a problem with him, his group of owners and team GM’s exchanging emails with the players and not seeing fit to at least inform the union that they were doing so. To me this smacks as a blatant attempt to undermine the solidarity of union members to its union. But then I asked myself, why should I be upset because this is just Betteman being Betteman and trying to create as much unrest as possible.
    When he talks to the media he makes sure to say that the NHL and the NHLPA are not even speaking the same language which I believe I now understand. The union is speaking with the players best interest at heart and the NHL is using underhanded sign language. No wonder they can’t agree on anything, how can you believe anything Betteman and his plague of whisker lickers say.
    I would rather go a whole season without NHL hockey if hat would do anything to bring Betteman to heel.